Mexico’s Hurricane Season Is Here (2020)

Mexico’s hurricane season lasts from June through November. Also, the most active months tend to be September and October. In November, temperatures begin to cool down and the incidence of hurricanes declines significantly. In general, the eastern part of the country is most affected by hurricanes. For example, the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea see far more hurricane activity than the Pacific Coast. This year, the hurricane outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. Read more about what to expect in the 2020 hurricane season in Mexico. 

Mexico’s Hurricane Season

As stated above, Mexico’s hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th. The summers are humid and hot, and coincides with the country’s rainy season, too. Tropical cyclones form in the ocean and slowly increase in strength as they approach land. Strong tropical cyclones are also known as hurricanes. Hurricanes are a natural force that is quite unpredictable. Once a tropical cyclone reaches a wind speed of 74 miles per hour, it is considered a hurricane. Hurricanes should be taken very seriously. They can cause major damages to structures and are a risk to human life. Consequently, heavy rains typically follow the path of a hurricane which can cause flooring and water related damages.

Well-Known Hurricanes in Mexico
There have been numerous well-known hurricanes that have hit Mexico. In Cancun, Hurricane Gilbert hit the area in Sept 1988 and Hurricane Wilma in October of 2005. In Puerto Vallarta, Hurricane Kenna did significant damage to Banderas Bay in October of 2002. In general, Puerto Vallarta enjoys protection from hurricanes thanks to the geographical barrier of the Sierra Madre mountain range. Other significant hurricanes to hit Mexico include Hurricane Patricia and Hurricane Katia. In fact, Hurricane Patricia was the strongest storm ever recorded. There is no  way to completely predict the number of hurricanes that will hit Mexico. However, modern technology and meteorology forecasts help give warning when a storm is on its way.  

Hurricane Preparation Tips

Today, most resorts and homes have been solidly constructed to withstand hurricane winds and rain. If you find yourself on vacation in Mexico when a hurricane hits, make sure to follow instructions from staff and local authorities. Make sure you have food and water with you. Keep your important documents such as Passport and credit cards in a waterproof bag. Also, have a bag ready if evacuations are expected. Resort employees receive training on what to do if a hurricane or any other natural disaster occurs. Always make sure to follow directions and instructions from staff if you are on vacation in Mexico and a hurricane hits.  

Mexico’s hurricane season is here! However, it’s still a great time to vacation in Mexico. Especially if you plan to visit tourist destinations on the Pacific Coast of Mexico such as Puerto Vallarta. Those areas are less affected by hurricanes and tend to be quite safe. If you decide to travel to Cancun, check out the Jolly Roger pirate ship adventure. The Jolly Roger pirate ship adventure is a Cancun top tour that the whole family will love. Looking to book accommodations? There are amazing vacation packages and special deals available for travel right now at the Villa del Palmar Cancun. Contact them today to reserve your spot. You deserve a break. Take advantage of the amazing promotions available, and book a trip to paradise today.  See you in Mexico!

Comments

comments