Do you love all things related to pirates? Though pirates have existed since ancient times, the Golden Age of piracy during the 17th and early 18th centuries is considered the peak of piracy. At that time, more than 5000 pirates were said to operate at sea. Pirates mainly targeted ships with cargo to steal, although some pirates were known to attack coastal towns. Many of the most famous pirates had dreadful reputations that inspired fear in their enemies. In terms of pirate ships, most would fly a black flag with a picture of a skull and crossbones often referred to as a Jolly Roger. If taken captive by a pirate, victims were famously made to ‘walk the plank’ or thrown overboard. Keep reading more to learn the history of pirates and some of the best pirate jokes, too.
If you want to read some of the best pirate jokes, check out the list below:
The Top 20 Pirate Jokes:
- What did the first mate see down the toilet? The Captain’s log!
- What is a pirate’s favorite doll? BAAAAARRRRBIE!
- Why did the pirate buy an eye patch? Because he couldn’t afford an iPad!
- What’s a pirate’s favorite fish dish? Pieces of skate!
- 3.14% of sailors are Pi Rates.
- What do pirates wear in the winter? Long Johns!
- What’s a pirate’s favorite part of a song? The hook!
- Who gets all their movies for free? Pirates!
- Why do pirates bury their treasure 18 inches under the ground? Because booty is only shin deep!
- What do you call a pirate who steals from the rich and gives to the poor? Robin Hook!
- What do you call a stupid pirate? The pillage idiot!
- Why couldn’t the pirates play cards? Because the captain was standing on the deck!
- How do pirates like to cook their steaks? On a BAAAARRRRRBECUE!
- What happens if you take the p out of a pirate? He becomes irate!
- What do you call a pirate with three eyes? Piiirate!
- Why does it take pirates so long to learn the alphabet? Because they can spend years at C! (Sea)
- How did the pirate find out he needed glasses? He took an aye exam!
- What’s a pirate’s favorite type of music? Rum & Bass!
- How do pirates know they exist? They think, therefore they ARRRRRRR!!!
History of Pirates
Did you know that pirates have been around since ancient times? In fact, pirates threatened the trading routes of ancient Greece, and would seize Roman ships carrying grain and olive oil. In early medieval Europe, the Vikings were the most far-reaching pirates. Later between the years of 1650 and 1720, thousands of pirates were active during the time period referred to as the ‘Golden Age’ of piracy. Some of the most famous pirates from this period were Blackbeard (Edward Teach), Henry Morgan, William ‘Captain’ Kidd, ‘Calico’ Jack Rackham, and Bartholomew Roberts. The Golden Age of Piracy came to an end in the 18th century, although pirates are still active even today, especially in the South China Seas.
More About Pirates
At the end of the 15th century, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus sailed to lands that were later named America and established claims of the “newly” discovered lands for the Spanish monarchy. The lands turned out to be a rich source of silver, gold and gems so Spain sent large Spanish ships, known as galleons, to load up precious cargo from America to send back to Europe. Pirates found the goods impossible to resist, so many pirate attacks were made on the Spanish galleons so they were forced to sail together in fleets with armed vessels for protection. In addition, when Spanish settlers set up new towns in Caribbean islands and the American mainland, these too came under pirate attack.
If you want to experience a day in the life of a pirate, why not book a tour on the Jolly Roger pirate ship tour in Cancun, Mexico? Set aboard an authentic 17th century replica pirate ship, it is one of Cancun’s top tours. Guests will feel as if they have stepped back in time as they enjoy world class entertainment that includes singing, dancing, live music, and dramatic acrobatic fighting. Plus, a delicious gourmet dinner is served that rivals the best restaurants in town. In addition, there is also a premium open bar served by a pirate so you can guarantee the drinks will be flowing all day long. Ready to reserve your spot? Make sure to book your Jolly Roger pirate ship tickets in advance as space is limited. Its’ guaranteed to be a fun and memorable day that the whole family will never forget!